Saturday, March 5, 2011

Stop blaming auditors :MIA

That was the heading of a Business Times item on Page B7 in NST on Friday March 4, 2011 and my tired looking face photo was included.
It goes without saying that I received numerous messages on voicemails, text messages on the phone and emails too. Suddenly I was in focus...for good or bad, for the right and the wrong reason fortunately or otherwise.
It started when I was asked whether I mind being interviewed by Business Times in my capacity as the President of the Malaysian Insitute of Accountants. I agreed but that interview was almost 2 months ago now. I agreed to the interview hoping that I could have a new beginning with the Media people.
As the events unfold...a couple of weeks after the interview, a draft of what was intended to be published was made available to me....so I went diligently at it especially wherever I was quoted. I sent back my edited version early February.
Lo and behold, when the editor decided that the article could now be published on March 4, the original draft that was given to me 'to look through and make necessary amendments' as I saw fit was the one that was published...NOT my edited version.
Since I am only a mere accountant, I would not want to interfere in the sphere of Journalism and whatever that goes therein....but the LEAST I would have expected was the courtesy of being informed that my edited version was not to be published....at least I would not have been so unkindly surprised. I guess, my edited would not have been as SENSATIONAL.
It looks like, though, that what I had hoped for a new beginning though came to another end and it did in a very short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment